Since the beginning, we made an effort to manage our business in a sustainable way, with respect and care for nature, and a social and environmental commitment towards our community.
To achieve this respectful relationship with the environment, we have set certain criteria to guide the use of resources. Implementing small decisions or changes of habits, we get closer to this goal:
- We built the house prioritizing insulation, PVC windows and double glazing to prevent loss of heat, which is crucial in our climate.
- We have chosen a central heating system with radiators and individual thermostat controls, making it safe, comfortable and efficient to maintain a proper indoor temperature.
- We have installed a high recovery hot water tank which optimizes gas consumption.
- In every bathroom, toilets have a half flush system, to be used whenever a full deposit download is unnecessary.
- The showers have a water saver device that maintains the same sense of flow and spin of water while it saves up to 70% water consumption.
- We use LED lamps, and outdoor lights are automatically regulated with photocells.
- The replacement of towels and linens are done only upon request and need, or regularly every 3 days.
In El Chaltén, as in all cities and villages of the world, waste & garbage treatment is a difficult issue that concerns us all. Town residents and businesses in town, dispose of the waste separately. Reducing total waste volume and facilitating its transportation.
This is why at Nothofagus B&B we separate our garbage according to its final destination and possible treatment:
- Organic waste: (food scraps, leftovers, grass, etc.) which will generate a compost fertilizer for our garden and greenhouse.
- Recyclable inorganic waste: to be classified and separated as follows:
- Clean cardboard, clean dry paper, glass, cans (aluminum and tin), plastic bottles (PET 1 and 2) and their covers, tetra-bricks. This way, we facilitate the work to be done at the Waste Collection and Redistribution Inorganic Center (CARRI) of our town.
- Every bathroom has a basket for general waste and another for organic waste. As well, placed at a common area of the house, we have specific containers for each type of garbage, where all guests can collaborate by classifying and depositing their separated waste.
BATTERIES: Unfortunately we still do not have a special treatment for batteries in our region. If possible, we ask guests to take them to larger cities where they have the opportunity to be duly processed.